Thursday 19 April 2007

Honey Tea Buns

If I had had the ingredients, this is what I would have cooked rather than rock cakes as a promising accompanyment to my cups of tea. Honey tea buns. It pretty much describes what I am looking for.

2007-04-19 Honey Tea Buns 147


Unfortunately, it is just a gussied up scone :-(

The ingredients required presumably over a basic scone recipe (although I have not checked) were ground ginger, orange rind and honey. However, these things barely affected the flavour. I ended up topping the halves with jam, butter and jam and finally honey in order to round off the blandness of the taste of scone.

If I knew I was going to be cooking scones, I probably would have tried to make clotted cream and gone for what is classed where I grew up, as devonshire tea. Cream and jam on scones with a pot of tea.

But this attempt at finding a good tea accompanyment was definitely educational. It left me with the feeling I wanted something more biscuitlike. The rock cakes for instance, although small, were definitely on the right track. Perhaps if I made larger sugar bun sized versions of those. Although that would be very high in calories.. the rock cakes were around 180 calories for two small cakes which together weighed 50 grams. So looked at from that perpective, the rock cakes are a good size for having one or two as an indulgent snack during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment