Thursday 7 August 2014

Seed Saving / Kiwano

When the local supermarket has interesting fruit in, I buy one and try and save the seed. If they have seed, which the persimmons they have, do not. And if I remember to buy the fruit! Which I forgot this week, with papaya. In this case, this is a horned melon, called Kiwano. Honestly, it's a tasteless fruit which I'd not take if someone offered me for free. In any case, I scoopd some seed out of the one I bought.

Kiwano - 2014-02-24 - 01 - Scooping seeds

And then put the seed in a jar to ferment, to remove the gel coating. The same sort of thing cucumber seed has.

Kiwano - 2014-02-24 - 02 - Seed fermenting

Later I rinsed the seeds, and put them on a paper towel. This was dried out, and the theory is that you cut out a segment with seed stuck to it, and just plant that. I'll probably try to grow some up a trellis next year, but I suspect I'd be better off to grow some beans up the trellis, or another passionfruit plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment