Tuesday 2 September 2008

LPMuds.net: VM to Demo LPC Muds

Link: VM to Demo LPC Muds

I don't know about you, but compiling MudOS has never been a pleasurable activity for me. There was a time when I considered the *nix compilation process a character building measure, e.g. compile, encounter error or missing package, recompile, repeat until an insurmountable problem is encounted or successful. But these days, I just don't have the patience for it. And the building of MudOS is complicated by the ability to configure features out of/into driver at compilation time, you need to have the right set for the mudlib you plan to use. Add to that my use of Windows, and the need to use something like MinGW and the pain adds up.

So the idea of having a VM, where someone else has taken the time to build the driver for each mudlib supported within it, is a very appealing one.

saquivor: [link]

As part of getting ready to actually getting restarted on my GUI tool, I decided to build a VM to run DS2 so that I can easily manage a DS2 setup via my Windows machine.

Anyway it got me thinking that it might be a good idea to create a VM image for all public lp mudlibs. I use VM images a lot at work and they can be very handy from everything to developing, testing, playing and even live usage.
saquivor: [link]
Ok first release is available for testing. VM will run Puppy Linux 4.0, and currently has ds2 and tmi2 installed.
saquivor: [link]
I have upload another version of lpmud VM. See links above for downloads.

Added discworld and also changed how the muds are started. In that I have written an ncurses menu front end to control starting the muds and connecting. (It will pkill any running copies of driver and then start your selected mud.) ...

No comments:

Post a Comment