Sunday, 5 September 2010

Roguelike MUD progress #3

Previous post: Roguelike MUD progress #2.

Field of view emphasis is now row based, rather than tile based. However, I've also added the ability for tiles to have attached foreground and background colours. Really, the rendering needs to break all this down and minimise the number of switches made using different escape codes. For now, use of colour is limited, so updating the display does not seem slow or flickery like it was in the past before I batched updates.

I've also added simple NPCs, in this case three small green dragons that wander around the dungeon. For now, that's all they do, but they're good at highlighting rendering bugs.

Current TODO list:

  1. Add bursts of fire, using different tiles and colours to make use of a wide range of colours than the basic eight through dithering. It might be a good idea to write the tile/colour choosing logic in a way that can optionally use the xterm 256 colour mode, if the client can be detected as supporting it.
  2. Add option for NPCs to choose to attack, rather than move, when they are ticked.
  3. Add option for players to attack, rather than move.
  4. At the moment, player keypresses are executed as they come in from the client. They should instead be queued and executed at a fixed rate.

Next post: Roguelike MUD progress #4


  1. Yay! Another python-retro-game maker! I'm following this series with bated breath :)

  2. Thanks for the support. I hope I can keep the progress up, but it is summer and the heat here in Shanghai is too nice to be sitting inside.