Monday 28 October 2013

Weather

This is a picture from the first bout of heavy wind, now over a month and a half old. That knocked out the power for a day or so, where I live. It also left a local bridge that I use blocked, requiring me to do a long detour.

2013-09-13 - Wind damage - Fallen tree

Pretty much every day, these days, has some strong wind. But about two weeks ago, there was another bout of bad weather. It started by in the space of ten minutes going from a sunny day, to dark and windy, to heavy hail, and finally back to a sunny day. I was by my garage shovelling potting mix and planting new seeds in new seed trays, so had to hurry to put some protection over my existing seed trays.

2013-10-13 - Wind damage - Hail - 01

The front lawn. The peach tree near the center of the photo, which had minor blossom on it, didn't get too badly damaged. It currently has lots of fuzzy buds on it.

2013-10-13 - Wind damage - Hail - 03

The eucalyptus tree part of the front lawn (Sunday).

2013-10-13 - Wind damage - Hail - 02

The eucalyptus tree part of the front lawn (Monday). This is after the second bout of wind.

2013-10-14 - Wind damage - Eucalyptus branch

There's an old apricot tree by my raised beds. I didn't think there were many budding fruit on it as it was, but after the wind, there are now even less.

2013-10-14 - Wind damage - Apricots

The power went off early in the morning, so I decided to drive into town and take care of some business. Unfortunately, my preferred route was blocked.

2013-09-14 - Wind damage - Fallen tree road blocked - 01

My second preferred route was also blocked.

2013-09-14 - Wind damage - Fallen tree road blocked - 02

And more power lines were down.

2013-09-14 - Wind damage - Power lines down

Thankfully the power came back on shortly before I actually left for town, and although it went off for several hours later in the afternoon, it's been on since. The eucalyptus tree blocks the winter morning sun, and it's not near enough to anything other than shrubs, to do much damage if more pieces fall off. Here's hoping for no more power cuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment