Tuesday 22 July 2014

Planting Garlic

You're supposed to plant garlic on the shortest day, and harvest it on the longest day. I think I was a week or two late in doing this. Anyway, my hugelkultur raised bed is doing okay out in the paddock. There was a side of it which wasn't planted out, and it's been too wet for most of autumn and what winter has passed, to dig more. So the garlic was going in there. I moved aside the mulch.

Garden Bed, Paddock NW - 2014-06-27 - 01 - Mulch shifted for garlic

The garlic is takahue red bought from Koanga. Last year's garlic was okay, but this is supposed to be a larger cloved variety.

Garden Bed, Paddock NW - 2014-06-27 - 02 - Garlic to plant

I poked a stick in the bed to make a hole, then pushed in a clove. And repeated heaps of times. There were lots of worms in the bed, and they were often in the poked holes in the way of the garlic.

Garden Bed, Paddock NW - 2014-06-27 - 03 - Garlic planted

Now to just wait six months until I can see the results of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment