Monday, 11 August 2014

Seed Saving / Kiwifruit

Day 1: I was left some kiwifruit by a visitor. I'm not really a big kiwifruit eater, so I decided to see if I could grow some kiwifruit plants, after saving some of the seeds. The first step was digging out the seeds from it's centre, and soaking them to remove the fruit flesh which would otherwise cause them to rot. The water was changed every couple of days, to keep the seeds in a good way.

Kiwifruit, Sprouted Seeds - 01 - 2014-01-20 - Soaking pre-sprout

Day 99: Eventually, I put the seeds on a damp paper towel, which I kept damp until they started sprouting. Then I planted them out and put on the window sill where they continued to grow. Some time later, my first mistake was knocking the tray off the window sill. My second mistake was scooping the contents back in, and the seeds ending up under too much potting mix. So I lost a lot of them, and some I saved I had to dig out when I saw them growing at the bottom of the transparent tray. In the end, I had four or five seeds remaining, which I planted out and have growing. Come spring, I'll plant them out and grow them up a tree or trellis.

Kiwifruit, Sprouted Seeds - 01 - 2014-04-29 - Also parsnip cutting

No comments:

Post a Comment