Tuesday 26 January 2016

Unharvested garlic results

I'd heard someone say that if you didn't harvest a head of garlic, what would grow would be small due to the lack of space the clustered bulbs would have.  I noticed in late Summer/Autumn 2015 that I'd missed some (likely I'd been pulling them out of the sandy bed by  their stalks and the stalks broke off) as they's already started sprouting.

So, returning to that bed, when I was down to the last two "volunteers" I decided to photograph them.  There are two resprouted heads here.

Garlic, Takahue - 2016-01-22 - 04 - Last years survivors undug


And here are the heads dug up and laid out in approximately the same places.

Garlic, Takahue - 2016-01-22 - 06 - Last years survivors dug


The head on the left produced small and poxy heads.  And the head on the right produced decent sized heads.  My vague recollection was that out of the eight or so "volunteer" heads, only two were small and poxy, and the other six were decent sized. I wish I'd been more proactive in taking photos to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment