Saturday 30 April 2016

Dehydrating apples and peaches

The last of my peaches were ripe, so I decided to dehydrate them.  As with pears, I'm not sure that peaches really taste like anything special dehydrated.  I'll probably try and use them for cooking, otherwise they just get snacked on for the sake of snacking by anyone they are offered to.

These were roadside apples of various flavours and textures.

Dehydrating, Apple, Roadside - 2016-03-31 - 01

Then, there's the Blackboy peach tree I bought from Southern Woods nursery several years back.  Note that it looks to be a Golden Queen peach.  It was the first year this tree fruited, and I have to say that I'm glad it is a Golden Queen.  Who needs two Blackboys?  And they were fat juicy fruit.

Dehydrating, Peach, Golden Queen - 2016-03-31 - 01

The Blackboy peach tree was already present when I moved into this property.  It seems to have some pest problem, and gets marks which are filled with crystalised stuff.  Probably some obvious pest like codling moth for all I know.  I need to look into it for next year.

Dehydrating, Peach, Blackboy - 2016-03-31 - 01

Got a decent amount of bagged dehydrated peach in the cupboard, and huge jars filled with dehydrated apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment