Tuesday 3 September 2013

Boysenberries

I don't know why, but I've always preferred boysenberries. Maybe it's just the fact boysenberry ice cream exists, and is so good. Raspberry ice cream doesn't, and strawberry anything is inedible after living in the United States where things flavoured badly with it are epidemic. And I wouldn't be surprised if I actually would prefer to eat proper blackberries, rather than these psuedo-blackberries, but blackberries grow wild all around here so there's not much point planting them.

There are two varieties of boysenberry which I've planted.  The first "Brulee" is apparently a spreading one that takes up too much space, and so I inherited it from a garden elsewhere.

2013-08-06 - Farmlet - 11 - Boysenberry variety Brulee packet front
The front of the "Brulee" label.
2013-08-06 - Farmlet - 12 - Boysenberry variety Brulee packet back
The back of the "Brulee" label.
2013-08-06 - Farmlet - 04 - Boysenberry variety Brulee
The "Brulee" planted.
The second variety "Tasman" was bought for $9.99NZ at The Warehouse.  It was basically a moist twig in a plastic bag.  Given you can get plants with branches in a pot for several dollars more at Mitre 10, that are probably more healthy, I think there are likely better options.

2013-08-06 - Farmlet - 09 - Boysenberry variety Tasman packet
The "Tasman" label.
2013-08-06 - Farmlet - 05 - Boysenberry variety Tasman
The "Tasman" boysenberry planted.
You'll note my hand-made label stick thingies in the photos. I'm not sure these will not fade with sun or rain, but location of plants and what kinds are also being marked on a map, in any case. Sure I could buy 10 copper things that will never fade for $20 or some such exorbitant amount, but that's just ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment