Tuesday 16 February 2010

Home-made yogurt

Last time I took photos of my home-made yogurt, I forgot to take a photo of what it looked like after it had sat.. erm, yogurtifying or whatever they call it.

2010-02-02 - Home-made yogurt - 01 - Yogurtified

Generally, the yogurt solid looks like a big solid round lump under the whey. When I make this, I generally use a 2L bottle of milk, cleaning the bottle. Then I eventually pour the resulting yogurt into the cleaned bottle its milk came from. Because another ingredient is an amount of yogurt that provides the cultures for the yogurtification, I pour an equal amount of whey down the sink at the end, so that the remainder will fit back in the bottle. The whey is mixed back into the yogurt, giving a thin milky lumpy liquid. I leave this sitting in the fridge for at least 24 hours before touching it.

As I make more and more batches of yogurt, putting an amount of the previous one into the next, the yogurt is slowly getting thicker. The whey has stopped separating so much as well, which happened with the early batches, although that might be related to slight differences in how I made it.

I'd recommend making your own yogurt, it is a little time consuming, but it's well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment