Sunday 20 February 2011

Sweet potato vendor

I've passed these street vendors who sell both corn cobs and sweet potatoes many times, but never really bothered to try them. So the other night, on the way home with nothing quick to eat ahead of me, I decided to give them a shot. I point at the ones I want, and the vendor weighs them on their scales and then loads them into a plastic bag.

2011-02-04 - China - Sweet potato vendor - 01 - Mobile stall

These two cost me 5 RMB (~1 NZD). They were scorching hot and I couldn't hold them in my hand to take a photo.

2011-02-04 - China - Sweet potato vendor - 02 - Bought ones

The idea is good, but unfortunately I think that the standard is to cook them until the starches have broken down and they have a very soft texture. Cooking vegetables too long cooks the goodness out of them, so they're more like a dessert than a healthy snack even if sweet potatoes have a lot of goodness in them. They're definitely worth buying again though. They're everything I like about Chinese street food, natural and made in a way which seems like they would have always been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment