Wednesday 6 April 2011

Hong Kong - Avenue of Stars

One of the tourist attractions five minutes walk from my hotel, was the Avenue of Stars. It's basically a strip of pavement on the waterside, with concrete "stars" featuring names of people mostly unknown to me.

2011-02-25 - Hong Kong - Star walk - 01 - View from above

It wasn't so busy at this point in time.

2011-02-25 - Hong Kong - Star walk - 02 - Sidewalk

Here's Jackie Chan's star. It's very hard to get a photo of a star without the shadow of someone else looming over it.

2011-02-25 - Hong Kong - Star walk - 03 - Jackie Chan

Take for instance this clown, who is characteristic of the problem. A stream of people wander from star to star, putting their foot on it and taking a picture.. or god forbid, a movie of their foot on it. To me, it looks like a sad attempt to establish a remote dominance over whomever the star belongs to. But someone I asked back in Shanghai told me, that it's more like a "I am here thing." In any case, this clown stood there for several minutes videoing the intricacies of his foot on a lump of concrete with Jackie Chan's name on it.

2011-02-25 - Hong Kong - Star walk - 04 - Lets stand on Jackie Chan

There's a few statues along the avenue, one of Bruce Lee I think, and this of.. I am not quite sure.

2011-02-25 - Hong Kong - Star walk - 07 - Some tarty statue

There's a free night time light show. I wasn't too well, but sitting in a hotel room is hard to bear, when you're in a different and interesting foreign country. So I headed out and took a gander.

2011-02-25 - Hong Kong - Star walk - 05 - Night time

The actual light show is.. hmm.. how to put it positively. A restrained affair that takes care to be subtle and not to excite anyone much. If it wasn't free, I would have asked for my money back :-)

2011-02-25 - Hong Kong - Star walk - 06 - Evening light show

No comments:

Post a Comment