Sunday 15 September 2013

Cider apple tree delivery

Most of my plant purchases are what I consider investments. I don't expect to be able to do anything with them in the near future, but the fact that they are in the ground means that eventually they'll be ready to do something with. And sooner, for being in the ground this winter, in the case of bare root trees.

This order was from Thunder Mountain Nursery in the north island. It was driven by an interest in having cider apple trees, so that's what most of them are.  I don't know if I've posted these particular details, so I'll cover it here.  They tend to arrive bundled together.

In this case, the order was:

  • Kingston black cider apple tree.
  • Brown's Eater cider apple tree.
  • Lady Finger Cider cider apple tree.
  • Yarlington Mill cider apple tree.
  • Italian Prune plum tree.
There was some logic applied in the choice of cider apple trees.  At some point I read that you need a variety of different trees, so that you can blend the apples.  So maybe one is sweet, another bittersweet, another bitter.. whatever.

2013-08-20 - Thunder mountain trees - 01 - Delivery
As delivered.
In the bag, the roots are I assume kept moist by either sphagnum moss or straw.  And it was straw in this case.

2013-08-20 - Thunder mountain trees - 02 - Packaging
Straw packing.
Here's a look with the trees taken out.

2013-08-20 - Thunder mountain trees - 03 - Unpacked
Unpacked.
My current process is to fill buckets with diluted seaweed extract, and to soak the trees for 24 hours before planting.  But I've only recently become more disciplined in how I do this, and so I didn't do it for these.

Here is the planted row.  My evolved square edging is now my standard approach.  One problem with it, is that the grass tends to grow back.  I need to start sheet mulching, and I'd like to widen the edged space but there is one main problem with that.  The problem is that this is a slope coming downhill in my direction, as seen in this photograph.  So a wider edged area will allow the water to spread more.

2013-08-21 - Thunder mountain trees - 01 - Planted row
The planted row.
At this point, I am dreading all the apples I am going to have.  Even the idea of feeding them to the horses next door is starting to become appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment