Saturday 21 November 2009

Kleinur, the Icelandic donut

One of the many foods I miss from Iceland, are kleinur. Kleinur have the taste and texture of stale donut. The only detriment they have, is that margarine is listed amongst the ingredients.

There's a list of ingredients I avoid, simply because they either taste inferior or the word on them is not good. Among these are high fructose corn syrup, monosodium glutamate and margarine. I used to go to Walmart grocery shopping and by not buying anything with high fructose corn syrup in, it left me with only dozens of items on the shelf that I could buy. Strangely, these tended to be the ones with short lists of commonsense ingredients, as compared to long lists that were chemical and additive related.

In any case, until I realised that kleinur were made from margarine, I used to consider them to be one of the better junk foods I have come across. These were smuggled into the United States, to Stone Mountain and me, from Iceland by a friend. This was done several times by different people, so I do not recall who exactly brought these to me.

The bag:

2009-02-19 - Kleinur - 01 - The bag


Some kleinur separated from the herd:

2009-02-19 - Kleinur - 02 - One


Innards:

2009-02-19 - Kleinur - 03 - Innards


As much as I like kleinur, the margarine is a killer. I should probably look into making my own donuts, let them get stale and see how they compare :-)

2 comments:

  1. Don't be so hard on margarine. It's a very generic term encompassing a whole spectrum of butter substitutes. Also, keep in mind Reynir'r maxim (paraphrased): If it tastes good, it is good. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Valerie learnt from Hófí to make kleinur, you could get the recipe and work from there.

    ReplyDelete